The end of the year follows and is similar: analysts and the media publish their summaries of the year that ends and the trends for the coming year. Gartner opens the ball with the highlight of 10 technologies, divided into three categories, which will be strategic for businesses in 2019.
Intelligence, digital and networks
Like last year, Gartner identifies three types of strategic technologies:
- Intelligence: how Artificial Intelligence interferes in all technologies to create new categories .
- Digital: the combination of digital technologies and physical spaces to create an immersive world.
- Meshing, networks: the importance of connections between people, businesses, terminals, content and services.
Standalone objects, Blockchain and immersive experiences
On the intelligence side, Gartner focuses on three trends.
- Autonomous objects to start with: whether robots, vehicles or drones, they are able to interact with their environment – be it digital, embedded in cities, in the air or on the sea. They operate with a certain degree of intelligence, coordination and abilities. Some need humans to carry out their actions; others are a support to help them in their decisions.
- Gartner also cites augmented analyzes. Data scientists will be able to rely on increasingly proven and automated methods to analyze their data: “by 2020, more than 40% of tasks related to data science will be automated.” These advances will enable professionals to accelerate and make more relevant their data-driven developments.
- The third pillar of technology trends related to intelligence is the development driven by AI. Here again, Gartner highlights the development of tools related to AI (infrastructure, frameworks, platforms …) and the automation of services that are emerging thanks to Artificial Intelligence.
The second part of the trends is digital. The boundaries between the real and digital worlds will become more and more porous.
- This orientation is reflected in particular by the emergence of “digital doubles”, these virtual representations of very real places.
- It also translates into the emancipation of immersive experiences based on Virtual Reality (VR), Augmented Reality (AR) and Mixed Reality (MR).
- Gartner estimates that 70% of companies will experiment with immersive technologies by 2022, either for internal needs or for the end user. 25% will have directly integrated these technologies into production.
The other category of strategic trends put forward by Gartner is the network, the mesh of technologies.
- We talk a lot about Blockchain for a few years, it will continue to progress next year and become central for some actors. The analyst expects major upheavals, ultimately, in finance, state governance, health, industry and logistics. It is important to note that currently, models are relatively immature and difficult to scale for most companies that are experimenting with blockchain-based technologies.
The impact of privacy on business strategy
In addition to these strategic a technology for 2019, Gartner evokes two fundamental notions having an impact on all three areas mentioned above: intelligence, digital and networks. This is,
- on the one hand, ethics and all issues related to confidentiality;
- on the other, quantum computing.
The questions relating to the confidentiality of the data, the privacy, made a big noise this year with the arrival of the RGPD in the European Union. The surge of mails received by individuals on May 25 last will have at least had an interest: an awareness of the issues related to privacy by the general public.
The analyst insists on the impact of this new deal on business strategy. They will have to take into account this new report of the individuals to their personal data to propose ethical developments, designed for the good of the users. They will need to build trust to convince them to use their services. Gartner ends his analysis by evoking quantum computing, which could become a great strategic advantage for companies that can exploit it.